Saturday, September 22, 2007

Wooly Bears!!!


Wooly Bear caterpillars are known as Isabella Tiger moths once they emerge from their chysalis and are winged creatures. Wooly Bears, frequently found crossing roads in the fall, are the adored fuzzy black, reddish brown black striped caterpillars that children of all ages love to find.

Today, my hubby was kind enough to stop the car so I could rescue two out of three I saw crossing the road. Unfortunately, the third one met its destiny on his quest to reach the other side of the road... .

As a life-long observer and seeker, I've only found one tiny one in my entire life. He was nibbling on a stinging nettle leaf as I was looking for Red Admiral butterfly eggs. Dandelion and plantain leaves are also a Wooly Bear's host plants.

It was really fun watching him grow! Unfortunately, like every other Tiger Moth caterpillar (there are lots of species of them) I've ever brought in to observe, I was rewarded with a big, ugly parasitic wasp. When you're anxiously awaiting the emergence of your winged beauty and are greeted with something as ugly as this, it's a great disappointment! --LKR

2 comments:

Don said...

I saw one of these in my yard as I was putting the garden hose away for the winter. I didn't think I'd see any out this late in the season.

Leza said...

I know--I found two crossing the road a few days ago, and another that was road kill. :-{ We've had snow three times already this month of October (very early for snow!!!), and a hard frost, and didn't think they'd be seen after that, but they're out and about! :-) Bees, lady bugs, snakes, grasshoppers, and a bunch more!