Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bindweed Moth Caterpillars

I'm not sure which moth caterpillar this is, but I found them irresistible!

While weeding, I found these adorable, fuzzy moth caterpillars. Their host plant is bindweed, so there is some purpose for leaving some for these critters, although this vine is terribly invasive.I remember being astonished as one of these cats turned brown, then quickly spun a cocoon. I later found brown ones like these in the same spot in my garden, also on bindweed. I'm not 100% positive..., but these two fuzzy cats may be the same. Variations in same species caterpillars can be quite striking. I'm posting this to 1) see if anyone knows for sure, or 2) check in 2009 if this proves true!Here's one cocoon that's spun with silk and the hairs from the caterpillar's body.Voila!!! Isn't this a beautiful little moth? --LKR

No comments: