Tuesday, May 31, 2011

In The Presence of Monarchs

Around 1pm, today, I went out in search of Monarch eggs. Sometimes it's easier to spot the first egg or larva before ever seeing an adult flying around. Well, did I ever find an egg, then another..., and another. Once back home, I counted 48, repeat, 48 Monarch eggs!!!

A few looked like they will be hatching in a day or two. Soooo, the eggs were divvied up among four baby wipe boxes that were placed into gallon-sized baggies for a little humidity. A tiny bit of humidity is needed so they don't dry up and die. Soon after these hatch, they will be split up into smaller groups.

Later on this afternoon, I spotted my first adult Monarch flying furiously through our yard on a very breezy day! It's so good to have them back!!! --LKR

No comments: